IUI (Intra Uterine Insemination)
Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) is the process of choosing selected sperm inject directly into the uterus via a small plastic tube pass through the cervix. IUI will process nearly time of ovulation as sperm can swim to the fallopian tube and easier to fertilized with eggs. Therefore, IUI can provide more success rate of pregnancy than natural.
Why IUI can provide more success than natural sexual intercourse?
In one cycle of IUI can provide success rate on average with 10% – 15% which is higher rate than natural sexual intercourse (3% -4% per month). The chance of pregnancy from IUI is about 3-5 times more than natural pregnancy, depending on the factors of sperm, egg, endometrium that can explain as follows;
1.) Quantity and quality of sperm
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI) increases the number of sperms that can swim up to fallopian tube as most of sperm naturally die in the vagina.
- Sperm preparation process can select the qualified sperm and increase fertilization rate.
- Reducing the distance to the fallopian tube by directly inject sperm into the uterus.
- Higher fertilization rate as IUI will process on the ovulation day.
2.) Number of eggs
- The ovarian stimulation in IUI cycle will be administered by oral medicines or injection medicines which can increase a greater number of eggs than natural cycle. From more number of eggs leads to higher chance of pregnancy, especially twins pregnancy.
- IUI can control accurate ovulation date by medicines and also can set appropriate date for sperm insemination.
In IUI process can make more successful of pregnancy, as there will be ultrasound to track the endometrium thickness. If the thickness is not appropriate, then there is a solution to improve.
As aforementioned, IUI can increase more chance of pregnancy than natural
Who is suitable for IUI treatment?
- Younger age group (age lower <30 years) If the age is older, success rate will decrease
- Having cervical problems
- Having chronic ovulation problem or PCOS
- Fallopian tube must be normal on both sides or at least one good side.
Having normal motility of sperm more than 5 million or more.
Who does NOT recommend for IUI treatment?
- Having blocked fallopian tube for both side or no remaining oviducts
- Having tissue in the pelvis from severe level of Endometriosis.
- Have been trying IUI for more than 4-6 cycles and had not been successful
- Male partner has sperm count less than 1 million or cannot secrete semen.
Preparation before treatment
Both female and male have nutrition foods, take appropriate supplement and vitamins. Rest enough by sleeping at least 8 hours per day, exercising regularly, refrain from smoking or drinking alcohol. Strictly follow the doctor’s suggestion as mentioned above.
Procedures and duration of IUI process
- Doctor gives the ovarian stimulation medicines by eating or injecting. In some cases, both methods may be used together. Start the medication during the 3-5 days of the menstrual cycle. Use medicines for 5 days to allow the eggs to grow and have a suitable amount of 1-3 follicles (eggs) per cycle.
- During egg stimulation, there will be transvaginal scan and/or blood tests to assess the growth and response of follicles.
- When the eggs size can reach to 18-20 mm, there will be an induction of hormonal ovulation. After injecting the eggs will ovulate within 35-40 hours later.
- Sperm insemination into the uterus by standardized laboratory methods on the ovulation day
- After sperm insemination into the uterus, there are prescribed medicines for supporting endometrium thickness. . After about 2 weeks, pregnancy test can be checked.
Chance of success
In one cycle of IUI can provide success rate on average with 10% – 15% depend on age of the spouses, sperm quality, eggs number in each cycle, and also fertility problem. Most of IUI result is single pregnancy but there is a chance of twins pregnancy about 10%-15%. Overall, this method has a success rate of more than 3-5 times the natural method
Advantage of IUI
IUI has a very similar principle as natural pregnancy, it can be done easily, conveniently, not complicated. The cost of treatment is not very high. The pregnancy rate accumulates well during the 3-4 rounds of treatment.
Disadvantage of IUI
The pregnancy rate is lower if IUI have been done for more than 4 cycles. Also, in the case of failure in over 6 cycles of IUI can explain that having infertility problem. Therefore, advised to see a doctor about IVF treatment for better success rate as it will help to solve the problem of fertilization, track the development of the embryo to the stage of implantation and screen chromosome disorder before transferring.